Sunday, February 25, 2007

My tax euros at work.

The german government tried to persuade its citizens to file their tax declaration electonically by providing a free (as in beer) windows application. It's called Elster, which is german for Magpie, a bird that at least in german folklore, is said to be quite thievish. Now, I installed that application to finally file my 2005 tax returns. And I'm prepared for the worst, because the german government is known for it's phenomenal failure in all its software projects. And my confidence in their incompetence was not disappointed, the dialog box above tells you that they were not able to make the program work without administrative rights. That's especially funny because -at least as a merchant who also can use that program- you are required by law to abide to basic security practices on your computers.

No comments: